What is titanium woven wire mesh?
Titanium woven wire mesh is most commonly woven with Commercially Pure (CP) Titanium wires, Grade 1 or Grade 2. Its warp and weft (woof / filling) wires are interlaced at right angles. In other words, each warp wire and each weft wire pass over one, two or other amounts of wires, and then under the next one, two or other amounts of wires. For example, plain woven wire mesh is the mesh where warp and weft wires pass over one, and then under the next adjacent wire in both sides.
We also call it as titanium wire mesh, titanium wire cloth, titanium wire mesh screen, woven titanium mesh.
Because it is necessary to use graphite to draw the titanium wire through diamond dies due to its tendency to gall. So there is usually a graphite coating for titanium wire. And then, according to whether the wire drawing lubricants are removed from the surface, titanium wire can be divided into “black” or “bright / clean”.
- Black titanium mesh screen is made of pure titanium wire with a graphite coating on the surface.
- Bright / Clean titanium filter mesh is created by pure titanium wire without the graphite coating.
Because there is a protective oxide coating on the surface to protect titanium wire mesh from corrosion.
- So pure titanium wire mesh screen provides good corrosion resistance in the environment of seawater, wet chlorine, chlorite, and hypochlorite solutions, nitric acid, metal chromate, and organic salts.
- Moreover, the oxidation coating prevents electrolytic reaction with other metals. So titanium mesh basket is suitable for anodizing applications.
Weaving type of titanium woven wire mesh
Plain weave, Twill weave, etc.
Weave types are different because of different interlacing of warp and weft wires and different wire diameter.
- Titanium Grade 1 (TA1, UNS R50250): Grade 1 is the most ductile and softest titanium with good corrosion resistance.
- Titanium Grade 2 (TA2, UNS R50400): Grade 2 has moderate strength and also provides good corrosion resistance.
Mesh metrics: mesh counts, wire diameter and hole size
Mesh counts: 2-200 mesh
Wire diameter: the thickness of one single wire.
Opening / Aperture / Hole size: the distance between two adjacent parallel wires.
Micron size can also tell us something about the woven titanium mesh. Because it typically refers to the nominal opening size. For example, 250 micron mesh screen possesses 0.25 mm aperture size. 75 micron mesh possesses 0.075 mm aperture size.
How do you calculate mesh size of titanium woven wire mesh?
Mesh size is also known as mesh count, mesh number. The numerical value indicates the number of openings / holes per linear inch of a titanium wire cloth. For example:
- 30 mesh titanium wire mesh has 30 openings per linear inch in both directions.
- 40 mesh titanium wire mesh has 40 holes per linear inch in both sides.
- 50 mesh titanium wire mesh possesses 50 holes per inch.
- There are 100 openings per inch for 100 mesh titanium wire mesh.
- There are 150 holes per inch for 150 mesh titanium wire mesh.
Depending on the relationship among mesh count, wire diameter and opening size, we can calculate mesh size.
- Firstly, using a micrometer to measure the wire diameter.
- Secondly, measuring the opening / hole size by ruler or vernier caliper.
- Finally, calculating mesh size.
- Mesh count = 25.4 mm / (wire diameter [mm] + opening [mm])
For coarse mesh, counting is also a good choice to confirm the mesh size. For instance,
- 10 mesh titanium wire mesh: it’s easy to figure out that there are 10 openings per inch by counting.
- 20 mesh titanium wire mesh: we can count 20 holes per inch.
For fine mesh, measuring opening size is difficult. So calculating isn’t a good choice to know the mesh size.
Moreover, it’s pretty hard to confirm mesh size by counting. Because that, usually, the larger the mesh number, the more the quantity of holes per inch, the smaller the screen opening size.
However, we can know something about mesh size by microscopes.
What is the meaning of 20 mesh size?
It refers to the titanium woven wire mesh in which there are the same amount of openings per inch in both lengthwise and crosswise. 20 (also called 20×20) mesh screen is a titanium mesh fabric in which there are 20 openings per inch in both directions.
What is 24 mesh screen?
We say it’s 24 mesh screen if the mesh possesses 24 holes per inch in both sides. From the mesh screen size chart, we can know that the wire diameter can be 0.356 mm. If so, the hole size is about 0.7 mm, and micron size is approximately 700. So only the particles smaller than 0.7 mm can pass through the titanium filter mesh.
What size is 40 mesh titanium woven wire mesh?
It’s the titanium wire mesh screen which has 40 openings per inch in both directions. Its wire diameter can be 0.2 mm. If so, opening size will be 0.435 mm, and micron size is 435. Therefore, the mesh can save particles over 0.435 mm, and filter the others smaller than 0.435 mm.
Screen Mesh Size Chart
|Mesh||Wire diameter||Aperture/Opening||%Open Area|
We can customize titanium wire cloth as requirement for example cut, form, etc. For instance, titanium pipe screen is a kind of titanium wire mesh filter disc. We can cut titanium woven wire mesh to produce titanium screens for smoking pipes.
Characteristic of titanium woven wire mesh
- High ductility
- High strength
- Low density and light weight, but high strength
- Outstanding corrosion resistance in seawater
- Good corrosion resistance in acidic, alkaline solutions
- Oxidation resistance
Applications of titanium woven wire mesh
- Woven titanium mesh suits for a wide variety of industries and applications, such as Aerospace, Medical, Plating, Architectural, Medical, Marine, Chemical processing manufacturing, etc.
- Titanium screen mesh is suitable for the manufacture of titanium electrode mesh, titanium anode mesh, various chemical liquid filtering mesh, seawater filtering titanium mesh.